Affinity Photo 2
Following the proposed changes to the perpetual licenses for Capture One I've been starting to look at other options. Affinity Photo recently released a major update, Affinity Photo 2, with a special promotion price so I had a closer look. Although I was aware Affinity have a good following I'd previously ruled it out as being an Apple only option, however it seems I was mistaken, this was only true in their very early days and their packages now come with Windows as an option.
My reasons for considering an upgrade to my older version of Capture One at this time would have been to benefit from the panorama stitching and multi-image HDR. As Photo 2 gives me both of these I don't need a COP upgrade so it is saving me money. It has a few other areas of functionality that I was missing including good focus stacking and an astrophotography option so it's a big win. I have in the past used Photoshop Elements (PSE) but could not find a perpetual license version last time I switched machines so Photo 2 also makes a good replacement for that. Overall I would say Affinity Photo 2 is a very capable tool for not a lot of money and well worth a look.
- Processes RAW files
- Support for Fujifilm xtrans
- Huge amount of post-processing options
- Panoramas, HDR, focus stacking and astrophotography
- Perpetual license, no subscription required
- Very good value for money
- Complex, may take time to become familiar with all the functionality
- Does not include DAM (Digital Asset Management)
- Install does not give control over destination